The National Private Truck Council (NPTC) is the only national trade association dedicated exclusively to representing the interests of the nation's private corporate truck fleets. These corporate or "private" truck fleets are operated to meet the inbound and outbound transportation needs of their companies. Private fleets account for 82 percent of the medium and heavy-duty trucks registered in the United States; travel approximately 53% of all the U.S. miles traveled for medium and heavy duty trucks, and consist of slightly more than two million vehicles and some 2 million drivers. Private fleets continue to comprise the largest segment of the trucking industry.
To be recognized and respected as the preeminent national trade association representing the private fleet/corporate transportation and distribution field, professional fleet managers, and affiliated service/product providers.
The National Private Truck Council (NPTC), located in Arlington, VA, is the national trade association representing the largest segment of the trucking industry: private motor carrier fleets. Founded in 1939, the NPTC began as a group of competing organizations that joined forces in 1988 to emerge as one voice for private trucking interests. Read a short history of the National Private Truck Council here.
In order to ensure fair representation to all categories of the private fleet community, the NPTC advocates for its members in six divisions:
• Heavy-Duty Fleets
• Medium and Light-Duty Fleets
• Third-Party Users
• Third-Party Providers
• Allied-Large Volume Supplier
• Allied-Small Volume Supplier
The primary objectives of the National Private Truck Council are to share information, to provide professional networking opportunities, to advocate for and educate its members, and to promote sound, ethical business practices and standards.
Click here to view the NPTS's mission, vision, core values, goals, purpose, and philosophy.
Click here for information on education opportunities provided by the NPTC.
Click here for information on the Certified Transportation Professional certificate program offered by the National Private Truck Council.
The National Private Truck Council is pleased to honor its members for outstanding service in the following areas:
• Driver Hall of Fame
• Fleet Safety Awards
• Humanitarian Awards
• Professional Leadership Awards
o Private Fleet Executive of the Year
o Fleet Safety Professional of the Year
o Fleet Member of the Year
o Allied Member of the Year
o Membership Development Award
Click here for detailed information on the NPTC awards program.
Every two months, the NPTC publishes the National Private Truck Council Newsletter. Click here to access a current issue.
NPTC President and CEO Gary Petty writes a monthly column in Fleet Owner magazine; click here for a listing of his columns.
In addition, the National Private Truck Council offers a variety of publications on topics of interest to the private fleet community. Click here for a listing of NPTC publications.
NPTC Board of Directors
• Chair: Ron Tartt, CTP; Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations
• Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect: Rick Foster, CDS; Wal-Mart Transportation, LLC
• Treasurer: Harry J. Haney, III; Kraft Foods, Inc.
• Secretary & Institute Chair: Gary L. Strausbaugh, CTP; Mennel Milling Company
• President & CEO: Gary F. Petty; National Private Truck Council
NPTC Board Members
• Conference Planning Chair: Ralph Benson; Sentinel Transportation
• Heavy Duty: Martha Bertrand; Spartan Stores
• Allied-Small: Robert J. Boyich, CTP; CPC Logistics
• Membership Chair: George Carpenter, CTP; AAFES
• Heavy Duty: Larry Dean; NCI Group, Inc.
• National Advisory Board-Allied: David R. Ellis; J.J. Keller & Assoc.
• Third-Party User: Tony B. Jolly, CTP; General Mills
• Allied-Large: Bob L. Mann; Navistar, Inc.
• Third-Party Provider: Don Metcalf; Penske Truck Leasing Co.
• Medium & Light Duty: Daniel D. Norris, CTP; The Pepsi Bottling Group
• Medium & Light Duty: Bill Perry, CTP; Hill's Pet Nutrition
• Legislative & Reg. Chair: Michael A. Pughes, CTP; General Parts,Inc./CARQUEST
• National Advisory Board-Fleet: Sam Richardson; ADM Trucking
• PR/Marketing Chair: Edward A. Welch, CTP; Perdue Farms
• Safety Chair: Greg Whisenant, CTP; Shaw Industries
The National Private Truck Council invites all involved in the fleet trucking community to become NPTC members. Click here for information on how to join the NPTC as a Fleet member, and click here for information on how to join the NPTC as an Allied member.